Joseph W. Connaughton, Biography
JOSEPH W. CONNAUGHTON (JOE), 1st Lieutenant USAAC, S/N 0-760010, born Dec 10, 1923 in Evansville, IN. Volunteered for Aviation Cadets May 1942 from home town Tuscaloosa, AL. Reported to Santa Ana for classification Jan. 6, 1943. Commissioned bombardier at Roswell Nov. 13, 1943. Assigned to crew and operational training as Bombardier/Navigator in B-26 Marauder at Barksdale, LA, Nov. 23, 1943. Was replacement to 319th Bomb Gp. (B-26s) in 12th Air Force on Sardinia May 1944.
        Joe flew 47 missions. Thirty-three were flown in the B-26s, nine were flown from Corsica in B-25s when the 319th was attached to the 57th Bomb Wing, and five were from Okinawa in A-26s when the 319th joined 7th Air Force. Memorable missions were Po River bridges, Brenner Pass, and Southern France Invasion. Joe flew the group's last mission in the ETO on Dec.31, 1944, "Piassola RR/BR, Italy," and the group's last mission in the Pacific on Aug. 12, 1945, "Mining Settlement, Kyushu."
        Decorations include three air medals, four battle stars, and the Croix de Guerre avec Palme. After World War II he graduated from University of Alabama with B.S. in Chemical Engineering. Joined National Gypsum Company in research/development and quality control for seven years. After Sputnik, worked for Army Missile Command for 27 years before retirement. Received
the Army's 1962 R&D Achievement Award and Army Missile Command's 1980 Scientific and Engineering Achievement Award. Currently with Stone Engineering Company consulting firm in Huntsville, AL. Married Laura Houston, Mobile, AL May 8, 1954. Three children Julie, Martha, and Jeff. Julie and Jeff graduates of the University of Alabama and Jeff MBA University of Chicago, and LLB Stanford University. Martha graduate of Calhoun Community College, Decatur, Al. Three grand children and one great grand child. 


Good idea - a little computer group get together. Might help to have  individual  personal computer info disseminated to the group (that's us) -- after each of us has sent you a little computer resume (so to speak). My resume is included with my signature block below.Perhaps we could get together for a few minutes after the business meeting on Sat. morning - And yes - my wife and I plan to be in OK City - reservations made and fees sent in.

GW 2000 4DX-33V,   1.28 GB + 250 MB,   16 MB RAM,   DOS 6.22,   Win 3.11,28,8 FAX/MOD,
Eudora 3.0 Pro,    Netscape 3.0,     MS Explorer 2..5,   McAfee VirusScan, Nortons Utilities Ver. 8,
HP Laser  IIP Plus w/ 2.5 MB, Got started in this stuff in Jan 93 to enable collection/assembly of data for  family history. 


History on me?!! Nothing worth hooting about, got out at the end of the Pacific thing, served time in the reserves but didn't get called up for Korea- don't know how I missed it! Finished college and stayed in business for thirty four years and packed it in and moved to Florida been here the last thirteen years. Like the rest of us I have some health problems but can't complain and that's about it. See I told you. 

Ed Brockman

PHOTO I was born July 21, 1919 in Fraser Colo.. Immediately after the birth, Doc Albers ( the town Doctor) called my Father and three other Lumberjacks back into the cabin where they resumed their stud poker game on the kitchen table. My Mother had six other children in like circumstances but never again in a log cabin. My Father later told me that Doc charged him $2.00 for the house call, but lost it back in the poker game. You might say that I was born FREE.
I attended High School at St. Joseph's in Denver, Colo. We moved to Ft. Sumner, New Mexico in 1936, where I met Faye "Scottie" Michael. We were married on Valentines Day 55 years later.
In early 1941 the pool hall burned down leaving 7 of us Ole Boys homeless. The Draft Board then drafted all of us on March 12,1941. I attended many Tech Schools, and became an Aviation Cadet in the Air Corps. I served almost 5 years in the Air Corps and attained the rank of Private many times. Served with the 319th. Bomb Group, was in North Africa, Italy, Sardinia, and Corsica.
After the war I became a General Contractor, also an Electrical Contractor. Went to Edgemont, South Dakota in search of Uranium. My Partner & I discovered well over $10,000,000 worth. This made me an immediate millionaire. During this period I owned and flew several airplanes. This amount of money seemed like a staggering amount to me, in fact it took me almost two years to get rid of it.
It was time to move on so I went to work for Chemico Construction co. out of NY City and spent the next nine years as an Electrical and Instrumentation Supt.. Worked in the U.S., Canada and Saudi Arabia building Chemical Plants.
In 1972 I worked nine years for League City, Tex. as The Building Official. Spent the next 13 years as Building Inspector for Galveston County, Tex. Retired in 94 and now spend my time writing nasty letters to the editor (mostly local politics) and doing this page, both of which I enjoy. Notes: This is a bio that I wrote for the Lions Newsletter. It is too long, I will trim it when some of you other cats get on here, Scottie above was the gal whose picture set on my foot locker overseas. After Knowing "Red" Jim Barker for 3 years in Edgemont we discovered that we were in the same group, He was a Gunner in the 438th. and will be in OKLAHOMA also. Jim also done quite well in the Uranium Bussiness.(maybe he kept some of his). 


I had both knees replaced on the 24 April this year. The right knee did quite well but some way or other a muscle separated in the left leg. Surgery was done and then I had to wear a brace for 6 weeks. the muscles in that leg are very weak and the knee is badly swollen. I think it will take three or four more months for the knees to recover where I won't have to use a cane. I can't walk but a short distance at this time and can't stand long enough to shave without having  a lot of pain in my new joints. I won't be able to go to Oklahoma city this year. One of these times I will make a
reunion if something else don't happen. Hope this will keep the dayroom going.Mark


Seems like a fine idea and a short profile.I left the 319th at Sedrata and went back to Telergma as an instructor for French and So.African pilots.The French wanted to only party and the So. Africans wanted to learn to fly so as to fight the Germans.Most of the French were ex-commercial pilots with lots of flying time.The throttles on the French warplanes worked in reverse to ours.At night these guys on take off would forget and as we gained speed down the runway would unconsciously pull the throttles back.I had a swagger stick that I used to slap their wrists.It
worked.Finished Air Force active duty as operations officer at both Kansas City and later MEMPHIS in the Ferry Command of ATC.Went to law school at Ann Arbor and eneterpractice in 1948 in Jacksonville,Il.Have lots of good experiences as a general practioner.Started a new bank and was CO until it went busted due to fraud on part of the CEO.He went to jail and I went back
to law practice.Hope this gives you a small profile and I deserve a password.TED R. 1st pilot of the BIG ASS BIRD 

CHARLES WOLF I quit TX A&M Dec 7 and since I was just past 18 took me almost amonth to convince my folks to sign my enlistment papers. Enlisted Jan 10, 1942 and since I had had ROTC had my basic cut short and was with the first Americans on the Queen Mary enroute to Australia out of Boston on Feb 17, 1942. Assigned to the 19th Bomb Gp (H) in Townsville, Australia I went to the 435th "Kangaroo: Sqdn, a recce unit and was given a long and lengthy aerial gunner class of some 2 hours on the 50 cal machine gun. Flew my first missions as a Waist Gunner and Lower Remote Turret Guner on B-17D's and then we got some E's with Ball turrets and in I went. Also got 5 missions in LB-30's, one of which was a recce and photo flight of the beaches at Guadalcanal for infor for the invasion of said island. I flew 48 missions with the 19th and came home with them
landing at Angel Island, CA on Dec 9, 1942..a full tour and had'nt been in the service a year yet. Met the cadet board in Dallas on leave and in was appointed to Class 44B, then Laughlin then Barksdale, Lake Charles and Sardinaia for a few hours during the move and on to Corsica and the 439th and on to Okinawa. Don't know what I would have done if I had been asked to go on a 4th tour. Got out, went to college, got married, had babies, flew F-51's and B-26's in the TxANG and then to Korea with the 136th Ftr Bmr Wg in F-84E's..and finished my Korean tour in the 35th Sqdn of the 8th as Maintenance Offiver since I had been through Chanute. Home and to Moody AFB,
GA where another baby showed up and I got into F-94C's and then to Edwards for Phase VI of the F-89D. Off to Luke then back to F-84's and then Hickham where I was Chief of Quality Control and Flt Test for the FEAF Base Command and go to fly almost everything that came through Hawaii including B-66's and C=54's and H-13 helicopters. On to Clark AFB in F-86D's and since I had
been busted up in a bad accident they sent me home and put me out on a disability so I at last had to go to work and was on both the Titan R&D and Atlas Programs with Gen Dynamics Astronautics and Aerojet General but wanted to fly so I bought a helicopter and became a crop duster in Paradise Valley, AZ. Shorten this up I think. Went broke. went to CA to fly for the worlds largest Cotton Ranch, the J. G. Boswell Co, out of Corcoran, and then on to Australia and New Guinea as a crop duster, contract pilot and Bush Pilot in the Outback and in New Guinea. Main claim to fame there was 2 helicopter and 2 plane crashes in 4 four years,(a good average and I owned the planes, a good way to lose money, and being one of the first white men to contact natives on the Frieda River, a fork on the Sepik which at that time was still unexplored territory. Back to the US having sold out and flew for Petroleum to the Gulf Oil Rigs and then to OR as Chief Pilot of Portland General Electric Co until I took early retirement and took off for 6 years on a 44 ft sailboat sailing from Portland to the Med and spending time in Spain and Portugal and the beautiful topless beaches of Mallorca and Ibiza. Finally settled down back here in San Antonio and am now quietly living on the beach as we old sailors say sailing nothing but a long square 5th wheel and puttering in my back 40.
I forgot to put in there that for almost 5 years I was co-holder of the Worlds Helicopter Endurance Record flown at Meadows Field, Bakersfield, CA in July 1964. 101:06:20..was one tired sucker when that one was done... 


PHOTO 437th. maintenance Flight Chief
Phase 1)  1921--1939----Born Eldorado Kansas. Attended grade, junior and high school at Pampa, Texas.
Phase  2)  1939--1945--- U.S. Army Air Corps.  17th. and 319th. bomb Groups
Phase  3)  1946--1951--- Engineering student. Graduated University of Tulsa, BS Aeronautical Engineering. also Private Pilot #601108, 1946
Phase  4)  Progressive civilian engineering and logistic management positions with Logistic Command, U.S. Air Force, (Tinker AFB, Okla.)
Phase  5)  1982--1988---Vice President, Logistics, B-1B Bomber Program, Rockwell Int'l Corp.
Phase  6)  1989--1988---Logistic Consultant, Rockwell Int'l Corp.
Phase  7   1983 and on--- RETIREMENT
Married my high school girlfriend, Reita, in 1942. One wife, one son, one grand son.
My work lasted over 60 years....enjoyed every day. I now believe that the end is in sight and the best is yet to come. I intend to live each day to the fullest...and try to repay some of my good fortune along the way.
I am now active in the sailplane advocation. Cannot get a class III FAA medical certificate... which limits my flying "self certification" ...gliders. Have purchased a Schempp-Hirth "VENTUS CM" auxilary powered sailplane. Has a 58' wingspan with a 48/1 glide ratio. Excellent instruments including a GPS. The glider is hangered at Moriarty, NM where I am now having a hanger built.
This part of New Mexico has outstanding soaring conditions and I look forward to several years of hi and long flights. 


After our boat ride back to Boston, I was able to talk my way into the Air Force Training Aids at # 1 Park Ave, NYC, at least it wasn't Del Rio, Texas where they wanted to send me.  After mustering out I worked for three major companies: The Borden Co at 350 Madison in NYC, E&J Gallo in Modesto, CA, and in San Francisco with Browne Vintners, a division of Joseph Seagrams.  My
specialties were package design and sales promotion materials.  Since retiring in 1979 I've continued to work in the wine industry as a consultant and designer.  If you ever want to get into the background and fun of these jobs, I'll gladly role it out. I get a kick out of telling my children who are involved in the high tech world that my father was a pioneer in the communication business, working for AT&T installing central office technology for telephone companies throughout the east, midwest and south.  They also installed the first sound equipment in silent movie houses in the late 20's. To up Brockman's ante I was born on a kitchen table in Detroit.  While growing up we lived in ten different houses while my father was transferred back and forth between Detroit, Cleveland, NYC, New Orleans, Atlanta and Pittsburgh.  Sixteen different schools, not counting the cadets.  That last was an experience---I wasn't sure I could make it, all I had studied to be was an artist and  was working for Bordens drawing Elsie and on top of that I was


PHOTO When the WWII ended I had not turned 21 yet so I thought I should get some more school learn_in.  The start was delayed for over a year since I did not have the "points" to get a discharge.  I was a Category 5 officer (wanted out yesterday) but this did not speed things up.  First I flew the C-46, then back to the A-26 with the 3rd Attack Group. When I got home to San Diego it was September 1946 and enrollment was already underway at San Diego State.  Some good friends of mine enrolled me in the classes I needed and learn_in was underway.  John Carlisle, 439th navigator, had been attending State before the war and was now back.  I joined his fraternity, and the partying was also underway again.  I met Frances Hemenway, my wife-to-be at State.  After 2 years I left State
and went to UC Berkeley.  During my senior year Frances and I were married and John Carlisle was our best man.  I graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering.  Frances and I moved to Walnut Creek where we lived for 13 years.  After a few jobs doing mechanical design type work, I joined the engineering staff at a Bay Area oil refinery.  This started my career doing project and process engineering.  After leaving the refinery I work for several major engineering/construction companys
both in Los Angeles and San Francisco.  We finally migrated to the very northern end of California where we have lived for the past 25 years. I finished out my work-for-pay years on the faculty of the college in Klamath Falls, Oregon and later doing private consulting in the energy field.  (Boy!! I hope this isn't as boring to read as I think it is.)
Frances and I have a son Mark who is engineering director of a small computer software firm.  We love the outdoors.  Our home is at the end of three mile of dirt road.  We get no salemen knocking on the door. Both of us have our pilot certificates and own and operate a small airplane out of the airstrip at our home. Anyone who has courage enough to read through all this is welcome at our
home anytime.  Stay as long as you like. Gene Ryan


Russell Powell
I was born in 1920 and was raised on the streets of Dalton, Georgia. I joined the Army Air Corp six days before the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor. Trained to be an airplane mechanic at Keesler Field in Mississippi. Went to Glenn L. Martin airplane factory to learn about the B 26. Joined 319th Bomb Group at Barksdale Field.I rode the Queen Mary to England. Went to North Africa with the invasion forces and then to Sardinia and Corsica. I was a mechanic and crew chief on B 26,B25 when overseas and A26 at Columbia Army Base. While stationed in South Carolina I married my long time sweetheart, Katherine.
We are still married after 53 years.We have a son and a grandson. After the war I went to work at the Dalton postoffice. I retired in 1972 as a supervisor and went into the real estate business as a broker and auctioneer. I traveled over much of the Southeast selling real estate at auction.I have slowed down now and only take a job if it seems easy and is close to home.I don't hit the ground running any more.


Howard is not on line, I am his son, Jim. He is well and still working at 75. After the war he finished his engineering degree at University of Iowa, worked for Westinghouse, Thompson Products (TRW) and Purolator (as Chief Engineer). He struck out on his own in 1960, founding Gammon Technical Products, Inc. We are munufacturers and distributors of aircraft fuel handling and quality control products. You can see our web page at gammontech.com. We employ 65 people and are the leading manufacturer in our (very narrow) field world-wide. We do a pretty good amount of business with the Air Force, and it still holds a special place in his heart. I am now president, but Howard is still working 40-50 hours a week as Chairman and Vice President. He is not the type to relax and take it easy! Howard really liked to see the web site and old photos. He has asked me to ask any of his old buddies to please email us to say hello.
gammon@bytheshore.com Jim Gammon

FEEL FREE TO CHANGE YOUR  STORIES AT ANY TIME- THIS IS YOUR SPACE Hey guys, Please e-mail your stories, that way I can cut and paste and format. I am the worlds worst at typing. Have put Bill Jones Picture on. Send me yours if you want to. Will stick em on till we run out of room or I go crazy keeping track of them. .